Saturday, January 14, 2017

Pimsleur Language Program Japanese Level 1 - Lesson 01 - Notes

     I had my first brush with Japanese language last fall when I attended few sessions at a local church covering the Hiragana and Katakana alphabets and some basic greetings/conversations. But after the sessions I couldn't manage to continue with my learning and it kind of rusted away.

Few days back I picked up Pimsleur Japanese level 1 program from my local library to revisit and update my knowledge of Japanese language. The program is in audio format. After I completed first two sessions  I decided to publish my notes in form of blog posts to keep me motivated and revisit the learnings whenever i need to.



Lesson 1 Notes

Japanese conversation 

Man - 
 Sumimasen! eigo ga wakharimasu ka?
Woman -  Iie, wakarimasen. Nihongo ga wakharimasu ka?
Man -  Hai, sukoshi wakharimasu
Woman -  Anata wa amerikajin desu ka?
Man - Hai, watashi wa amerikajin desu

New Words in lesson

  • Sumimasen - Excuse Me
  • Eigo  - English language
  • Wakharimasu - Understand / (to know)
  • Wakharimasen - Do not understand / (do not know)
  • Iie - No
  • Nihongo - Japanese language
  • Hai - Yes
  • sukoshi - a little
  • Anata - You
  • Watashi - I
  • amerikajin - American
  • desu - am/are

Grammar Notes

1. In Japanese, 'You' or 'I ' are considered understood and mostly omitted from sentences. These are only used when 'You' or 'I' emphasize something - i.e. comparison.
2. To ask a question, just add 'ka' in the end of sentence. That will make it a question.
3. 'Ga' is added to language name (Nihongo , Eigo) when used in a sentence (Nihongo-ga, Eigo-ga)
4. 'Wa' is added to You (Anata) and I (Watashi) when used in a sentence (Anata-wa, Watashi-wa)

Based on words learnt and grammar notes, the above conversation can be translated as - 

Man -  Sumimasen! eigo ga wakharimasu ka?
Man - Excuse Me! Do you understand English? ('You' is understood. 'ka' makes the question)
Woman -  Iie, wakarimasen. Nihongo ga wakharimasu ka?
Woman - No, I don't understand. Do you understand Japanese? ('I' and 'You' are understood. Adding 'sen' makes negative)
Man -  Hai, sukoshi wakharimasu
Man- Yes, I understand a little.
Woman -  Anata wa amerikajin desu ka?
Woman - Are you American? 
Man - Hai, watashi wa amerikajin desu
Man-  Yes, I am American.






4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Você pode postar os áudios? Eu gostaria de aprender também

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I lost a part of my notes and this is really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate your work..

    ReplyDelete