Thursday, January 26, 2017

Pimsleur Language Program Japanese Level 1 - Lesson 05 - Notes

This lesson introduces concept of 'Eat-Drink' along with review of previous ones. From this lesson I have also included all the practice sentences for better review.

Conversation for review
Sumimasen – Excuse me
Hai. Nanika? – Yes. Do you need something?
Vyeno koen asoko desu ka? – Where is Vyeno park?
Asoko desu.  – It is there
Vyeno eki wa? – And Vyeno station?
Koko desu – It is here
Domo arigato gozaimasu – Thank You very much

New Words

Nanika – Something
Wakharimasu – I know (in addition to I understand as in previous chapters)
Wakharimasen - I don’t know (in addition to I don’t understand as in previous chapters)
Tabemasu – I eat / I am going to eat
Tabemasen – I don’t eat / I am not going to eat
Nomimasu – I drink / I am going to drink
Nomimasen – I don’t drink / I am not going to drink
So desu ne – Let me see (new usage)
Iie, Kekkou desu – No, Thank You

Grammar Notes
1.       Nanika means something. It can be used in different situations like (as in ‘do you need something? Nanika?)  or I will eat/drink something (nanika tabemasu/nomimasu)
2.       Wakharimasu and Wakharimasen , which means ‘understand/ don’t understand’ can also be used for ‘know/don’ know
3.       Tabemasu/Nomimasu (eat/drink) have similar sentence structures as seen with ‘wakharimasu, hanashimasu’
4.       Tabemasen ka? / Nomimasen ka? roughly translate as Won’t you eat? / Won’t you drink? This is used when you ask someone to go out.
5.       ‘So desu ne’ which is used to agree with someone. Can also be used if you want to think about an offer from someone, as in ‘Let me see’, but while speaking the speed is slower.
6.       Saying ‘No, thank you’ for an offer is ‘Iie, Kekkou desu’ and NOT ‘iie, arigato’. ‘Iie, Kekkou desu’ literally means ‘No, I am alright as is’. It is different from saying Thankyou.

Practice Sentences I
Do you understand English? – Eigo ga wakharismasu ka?
I understand a little – Sukoshi wakharimasu
I speak a little – Sukoshi Hanashimasu
And you?        - Anatawa?
Do you understand Japanese? - Nihongoga wakharimasu ka?
No, I don’t understand well – iie.yoku wakharimasen
Yes, I understand a little – Hai. Sukoshi wakharimasu
You speak well. Don’t you - Jozou ni hanashimasu ne
No. I am not skilled yet – iie. Mada jozou ja arimasen
Thank you very much – domo arigato gozaimasu
Are you Japanese? – Anatwa Nihon-jin desu ka?
Yes. I am Japanese – Hai. Watashi wa Nihon-jin desu ka

Practice Sentences II
Hello - Konnichiwa
Its bad weather. Isn’t it -  Iyana otenki desu ne
Its good weather. Isn’t it - ii otenki desu ne
Isn’t so (agree) - So desu ne
Where is Vyeno station - Vyeno eki wa doko desu ka?
It is here - Koko desu
Is Vyeno park here? - Vyeno koen wa koko desu ka?
No. It is there. It is not here - Iie. Asoko desu. Koko ja arimasen
Sinjyuko station is not here but Vyeno station is here
Sinjyuko eki wa koko ja arimasen demo vyeno eki wa koko desu
And Vyeno station - Vyeno eki wa?
I don’t know – wakharimasen (new usage of word)

New Sentences (Food / Drink)

Tabemasu ka?  -  Are you going to eat?
Hai. Tabemasu – Yes. I am going to eat
Nanika Tabemasu – I am going to eat something
Tabemasenka? – Won’t you eat ?
Nanika Tabemasenka?  - Won’t you eat something?
Nanika tabemasu. Anatawa?  - I am going to eat something. And you?
Nomimasenka? – Won’t you drink?
Nomimasen – I am not going to drink

Nanika tabemasu ka? – Are you going to eat something?
Iie.demo nanika nomimasu – No. but I am going to drink something
Watashi wa nanika tabmasu -  I am going to eat something (emphatic)
Nanika tabemasenka? – Won’t you eat something?
So desu ne – Let  me see
Iie. Khekko desu – No. Thank You






1 comment:

  1. It is not Vyeno koen, but Ueno koen.
    Thanks for your effort.

    ReplyDelete