Sunday, December 31, 2017

Just Read: ORIGIN by Dan Brown

I didn't even know that Dan Brown released a new book this October, till I saw it the library this week. I remember when his book Lost symbol was released, it was EVERYWHERE. It was in news, internet and at the top of all bookseller shelves. The buzz was hot, as it was preceded by arguably the most controversial and highly successful 'Da Vinci Code' and also two successful movies.

Somehow I have read all his books. Mostly because they only release once in many years. Yes, the obvious first was Da Vinci Code, because it was so popular. Then i followed it with his older novels - the very similar one Angels and Demons, early ones deception point and digital fortress, and then the new ones as they released. 

I like first 50 or so pages of his books, when he is setting up the story. There is a lot of new information about the a historical structure, painting or place, some of which i like to google. But after that it is all about getting deep down into familiar territory- his hero Robert Langdon  (unwantedly) getting stuck in a situation where he needs to break a code and solve murder mystery by running around with a female partner (new every time) while saving their lives.

His new novel is pretty much on the same lines. This time it is computer genius, billionaire, Edward Kirsh who wants to reveal his discovery, which is going to change the world. And not everyone wants this discovery to get out in public. During the presentation Edward is killed just before his big reveal, and that sets up chain of events which require Robert Langdon to run around famous spots in Barcelona and give readers a guided tour, while trying to find a 47 character password to unlock Kirsh's presentation to the world. And if there is science, religion has to be involved to oppose it. So there is catholic church, palmarian sect and spanish royal family. 

One thing always amuse me, Robert Langdon always finds time for his thoughts to wander, and tell readers about the historical facts (or popular theories) in detail, while he is dodging bullets or people trying to kill him. 

How the new novel is different? This time Dan Brown did not wander too deep into religious pattern recognition or code breaking. Yes, it is there but there is a lot of stuff on modern technology, which is easily understood. And there is Winston, the A.I., which helps Langdon in cracking the murder mystery.

I love the way Dan Brown has visualized Guggenheim museum and tourist spots in Barcelona. I did some google on those places and pieces, and now the place is on my travel wish list. (Fingers crossed.). and some quotes by famous people, most of them to define how genius but eccentric computer billionaires are.

Overall, it is a one time read. The big reveal is not as big as it was hyped to be. And even though finale is interesting, for me it was a little too late. Parts of it are really interesting but with 450+ pages and Dan Brown cryptic way of handling things, it is not a easy read. 

This is my 13th and final book of 2017. I thought Detective Kubu was my last book of year when i read it last week, but then this showed up. So in the end, a little more than 1 book per month. Not bad, I think. 

I get most of my books from my local library. I read ebooks too, but I like the feel of real book in my hands more. In library, I rarely search for a new title. I mostly find interesting stuff in the just arrived section, which adds to the intrigue of reading a new book. And that's not all, this library has big collection of comics (collected editions), movies, audio books. I even got the book for my recent  certification from the library. We also used library study rooms to schedule Japanese classes for many weeks. I love my local library. 

No comments:

Post a Comment