Friday, February 3, 2017

Pimsleur Language Program Japanese Level 1 - Lesson 08 - Notes

Review Conversation
A man and women (Miss Tanaka) conversing at a restaurent

Tanaka San, ima tabamasu ka? – Mr. Tanaka, are you going to eat now?
Iie. Kheko desu. Demo nanika nomimasu – No. thank You. But I am going to drink something
Nani o nomimasu ka? – What are you going to drink?
Wakharimsen – I don’t know
Osake? – Rice wine?
Iie. Beeru – No. Beer
Watshi mo beeru ga hoshi desu – I too want to drink beer
(to the waitor) Sumimasen. – Excuse me
Hai. Osake? – Yes. Rice Wine?
Iie. Beeru – No. Beer.

New Words

San – Mr/Miss/Mrs
Tanaka/Satto – Japanese family names
Lunch – Hiru-gohan
Two – Ni
Bottle – hong
Onegai – favor (literal meaning)
Onegaishimas – Please
Ka – Or
Shimas – to do
Hoteru – Hotel
Khaimas – to buy
With – tho
Who/whom - tare

Grammar Notes
1.    Japanese use family name in formal settings. First name is mostly reserved for family, friends and close people.
2.    In Japanese the counting numbers are based on what type of object it is. In this chapter, we learn for slender objects – like bottle, pen, ciggrettes – use Ni for 2. Ex -  2 bottles – Ni hong
3.    It is customary to add ‘Please’ when asking for something. ‘Onegaishimas’ is added with the sentence
4.    We have learnt two meanings for ‘Ka’ – One is to make a question when used in end of sentence. Other is ‘Or’ when used between two objects. The meaning differs based on placement of the word.
Form Sentences

Where is the restaurent? Do you know - Restoran wa doko desu ka? Wakharimasu ka?
Sorry. I don’t know - Sumimasen. Wakharimasen
Me too - Watashi mo
I don’t speak - Hanashimasen.
I too don’t speak - Watashi mo hanashimasen.
I am going to drink beer - Beeru o nomimasu
I am going to eat lunch - Hiru-gohan o tabemasu
When are you going to eat? - Itsu tabemasu ka?
I am going to eat now - Ima tabemasu
When are you going to each lunch - Itsu hirugohan o tabemasu ka?
I am not going to eat now - Ima tabemasen
Me  too - Watashi mo
Where are you going to eat - Doko de tabemasu ka?
At the restaurent? - Restoran de?
At your place? - anata no thokolo de?
Is  that ok? - ii desu ka?
Mr. Satto, Are you going to drink something? - Satto san nanika nomimasu ka?
Mr. Satto. What are you going to drink? - Satto san Nani o nomimasu ka?
Yes. I want to drink beer - Eh. Beeruga hoshi desu
No. I don’t want any now - Iie. Ima hashiku arimasen
Later - Aatode
When are you going to drink? - Itsu nomimasu ka?
Are you going to drink beer? - Beeru o nomimasu ka?
Two bottles of beer - Beeru ni hong
Two bottles of beer. Please - Onegaishimas. Beeru ni hong
Mr. Tanaka, are you going to drink beer or rice wine? - Tanaka San, beeru ka osake nomimasu ka?
I want rice wine - Osake ga hoshi desu

What are you going to do? - Nani o shimas ka?
I don’t know - Wakharimasen
Don’t you know? - Wakharimasen ka?
Where? - Doko de?
At the hotel/at the restaurent/ at Nanbante  - Hoteru de / Restaorn do / nanbante de
At my place - Watshi no thokolo de
At your place - Anata no thokolo de
Yes. At my place? - Eh. watashi no thokolo de?
No. At the hotel - Iie. Hotero de
I am going to buy something - Nanika khaimasu
I am going to eat lunch - Hiru-gohan o tabemasu
I am going to buy beer - Beeru o khaimasu
I want beer - Beeru ga hoshi desu
Are you going to drink rice wine? - Osake o nomimasu ka?
Ok. Isn’t it? - So desu ne
I don’t want any now - Ima hoshiku arimasen
What are you going to do? - Nani o shimas ka?
Where are you going to eat lunch? - Hirugohan doko de tabemasu ka?
At the hotel - Hoteru de
With whom? - Tare tho?
Yes. With you - Eh. Anata tho
Is that ok? - Ii desu ka?
But with who? - Demo tare tho?
With Mr. Satto - Satto san tho

Review Conversation

Man - Konnichiwa
Woman - Konnichiwa
M - Ima nani o shimas ka?
W-Ima hirugohan o tabemasu. Anatawa?
M- Nanika o khaimasu. Beeru ka osake
W- Anata mo hirugoahan o tabemasu ka?
M-Eh. ii desu ka? ima?
W-Eh. Ima
M-Doko de? Hoteru de?
W-Iie. Nambante de
M-Nambante wa deko desu ka? Wakharimasu ka?
W-Wakharimasu
(At the restaurent)
M - Nani o namimasu ka? Beeru o osake?
W - Watashi wa beeru o nomimasu
(To the waiter) Beeru ni hong. Onegaishimasu
Nanika tabemasu ka?
Eh. demo aatode
(after restaurent)
Nanika khaimasu. Osake ka beeru
JaMata


Man - Hello
Woman - Hello
M – What you are going to do now?
W-I am going to eat lunch now. And you?
M- I am going to buy something. Beer or Rice wine
W- Are you too going to have lunch?
M-Yes. Is that ok? Now?
W-Yes. Now
M-Where? At the hotel?
W-No. At Nambante
M-Where is Nambante? Do you know?
W-I know
(At the restaurent)
M – What are you going to drink? Beer or  rice wine?
W – I am going to drink beer
(To the waiter) Two beer bottles. Please
M- Are you going to eat something?
W - Yes. But later
(after restaurent)
M – I am going to buy something. Rice wine or beer
W – See you later








No comments:

Post a Comment